Our aim at Shawn Steel Law Firm is to actively work to reach a fair resolution for all types of civil cases. We are committed to the promotion of individual rights. Our mission is to present a cost-effective, high quality, customized legal service to firms and families. We work hard to ensure that our clients get the justice that they deserve. We handle many personal injury cases, including injuries caused by a dog bite.
Dog Bite Data
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reveals that around 4.5 million individuals are bitten by a dog annually, and the greatest number of these dog bite victims are young children aged between 5 and 9 years. There are always many concerns when someone is bitten by a dog because of the high chances of acquiring rabies, an infection or psychological damage.
If you, or one of your children, have been a victim of a dog attack, our firm can discuss dog bite liability and decide if you are eligible for a damages claim as a result of a dog bite.
What you should do after a dog bite:
- Get immediate medical treatment
- Check to see if the dog has had a rabies vaccination
- Take a photo of the dog
- Check to see if the dog has been known to attack before
- Write a report for the district animal control center and the police department
- Take photos of all injuries
- Take photos of the place where the attack occurred
- Record names and contact details of all witnesses
As this injury is unlikely to be your fault, you should contact a dog bite attorney that can assess your injuries and help you file a personal injury damages claim. At Shawn Steel Law Firm, we have won substantial compensation claims for victims of dog bites. It is never easy to win a claim for a dog bite, as dog owners are very defensive when it comes to the behavior of their pets. You need an experienced attorney who knows and understands your rights and can ensure that a comprehensive claim package is presented to the dog owner.
Certain Breeds of Dogs are Particularly Dangerous
There are some breeds of dogs that have a reputation for outwardly aggressive behavior and are often overly protective of their owners and their home territories. However, any dog that is either disturbed by someone or is confronted with an unexpected event might act in an aggressive manner as a means of protecting themselves and their territory.
The most dangerous breeds of dogs tend to be:
- Pit bull – known for its fearlessness, weight and strength. Has a steady reputation for dog attack
- Rottweiler – is a heavy animal and very territorial and if upset can cause incredible damage in a dog attack, including extensive dog bites and mauling
- German Shepherd – commonly used for law enforcement as they are confident and fearless in nature. If bitten by one of these animals serious injury could be the result
- Doberman Pinscher – well known for its loyalty to its owner and will defend property, even if that means attacking and biting any intruders or passers by if it becomes unleashed
Generally, it seems easy to prevent a dog attack and that is not to enter property unless you have the required permission. Unfortunately, there are instances when dogs are illegally taken off their leashes and allowed to roam free. Attacks can take place in these situations and there is little a defenseless victim can do to prevent getting bit.
Contact a California Dog Bite Attorney
If you have been bitten by a dog and it was not your fault, you should call on the services of an experienced dog bite lawyer. You are legally entitled to file a claim for damages in the case of a dog bite. Occasionally, dog bite injuries are fatal, but often they cause debilitating injuries that require not only medical attention but time to recover from. Any victim of a personal injury may have to take time off work to recover and may need to depend on family for support. All the financial burden of the recovery period is included in any claim for damages as there is no reason why you should be paying out of pocket for an injury that was not your fault.
If you, or a member of your family, have been the victim of a dog bite attack, contact Shawn Steel Law Firm at 800–626–003 for a free evaluation of your case.